I started a quilt for my niece, Paige, and was planning to make it for her as Christmas gift and was thinking of what to make her brother, Joey, when I was out with a friend at one of the local quilt shops and saw a fabric that just yelled :JOEY!" at me. It was hockey fabric, with a panel that was perfect for the center.
I had Paige's quilt all planned out in my mind and roughed out on paper and knew that I was going to use the Moda Marble Ombre in Purple for the background of her quilt. I also knew I wanted to do it like a strip quilt but using wider strips. I cut them 4.5" instead of 2.5". I ordered Me and My Sister's flower applique templates to use for the white daisies that I wanted to rain down the quilt. My idea was clear in my mind, though the final quilt did not come out exactly as I had it pictured I do love it. I originally thought to hand applique the flowers, but time constrains lead me to do raw edge applique instead. I kind of like how it turned out as this is the first times I have done raw edge applique on a quilt. I did do it once on a wall hanging. I pulled the border fabric from my stash and used a teal grunge on the back which was a great pick as I found out that besides purple she likes teal. I made the label on the back very special also, triple layering two daisies using the ombre fabric. I am very pleased with the quilt overall.
|I have no idea why this picture is sideways. It is right side up in Flickr and in my phone, but it works.|
|Raining Daisies Label|
Paige was very happy with her quilt and pillow cases and immediately put them on her bed. I caught her later for pictures as I wanted one of her with her quilt.
|Sorry that this is on its side, for some reason the picture is coming in this way even though it is right side up in Flicker.|
I used a panel for each of his pillow cases. and the mail print with the hockey players for the backing.
I decided that "Hockey Star" was the perfect name for the quilt for two reasons, one because I used stars in the pattern and two because my nephew is a shining star. I started by adding the two inner borders to the panel and then calculating the number of stars needed to encircle the center. I used 2.5" strips for the stars and alternated colors between blue and red, which worked out perfectly for me. I bordered it with the hockey player fabric and used the red, white, blue, and black fabric cut on the bias for the binding.
|Again I have no idea why this picture is sideways.|
I used the extra stars I had made for his label.
Joey was patient as I did not finish hand stitching the binding and label down until Thanksgiving day, but as soon as he got his quilt he wrapped up in it and went to sleep.
I am very happy that they both liked their quilts and that I was able to give them some love after all they have both been through this year.