I am participating in Quinn McDonald's 30 Day Creativity Practice and Pat Sloan's challenge to pick a word for the year to focus on. My word for 2012 is
|Lake in Ireland|
"Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2012? It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought, or a feeling, or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word - this is YOUR word.
One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities. And here's one thing that is totally interesting: sometimes a word will pop into your brain and it will not make any sense to you right now. Give it some time. Let it percolate a bit. I have often found that our hearts speak to us in very unique ways. Maybe this is a word you need to hear but just aren't ready for it yet.
Again, be open to the possibilities."
I also made a list of my goals to focus on in 2012.
- Finish UFQs and try not to add new UFQs, but rather finish projects I start, and this applies to all areas of life, not just quilting, as I have some other unfinished projects I need to finish.
- Simplify and organize, meaning to clear things out that we do not need. Purge things if you will, and pass them on to those who can use them. This can be as simple as cleaning out a draw in the kitchen, or clearing your closet of clothes you have not worn in the last year.
- Focus on my health, meaning eat right and exercise more.
- Write/Journal, spend more time focusing on my writing and my journals and delving into myself and my creative side. I find I am more focused and sleep better when I write each night before bed, as it clears my head. This includes doing a better job of writing and posting my blog each month. My ultimate goal is to try to post once a week, but for now I am focusing on once a month and taking it month by month. I do not know how some people manage to post daily.
- Explore other creative avenues. I am considering taking a pottery class, or a watercolor class. There are two books I am planning to read and explore this year. Quinn McDonald's Raw Art Journaling and Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way. I have both and have dabbled with them, but I plan to start reading one tonight and take a step forward with exploring this part of me.
- Read and expand my knowledge. This includes anything from novels to cookbooks, or travel guides. It is the reading that brings me pleasure and increases my knowledge.
- Family, chatting with my cousin this morning we realized that we are the only ones in our family who stay in close touch and even then we are not perfect. I think the connections cracked and it started to fall apart when my grandmother moved to a nursing home and passed away. Before that her home was the gathering place.
- Last but not least, is to focus on my word for 2012. CELEBRATE!!