Friday, May 23, 2014

Troublesome Purple and Green Mystery Quilt

This quilt was a New Year's Mystery quilt designed by a local quilt teacher and it was full of trouble. To begin with she gave us the wrong cutting directions so some parts had to be recut.

If you could measure this you would see that the four patches are 1" finished and the other squares are 2" finished. When given the directions we were told to cut 1.5" strips and 4.5" squares and to use the 1/5" strips to make four patches like 40 0f each color way.  

When we got to class and she discovered the mistake she told us to re do the four patches using 2.5" strips.  Now for some people this was a huge problem as they did not have more fabric than what she originally told us to use, so they did not have enough. Her solution was to tell us to cut down the 4.5" squares into 2.5" squares. I had extra fabric as I bought enough to make the quilt queen sized, just in case I really like it, but after all the time it took to make the four patches I decided to just cut 2.5" squares and call it good rather than redo the four patches.

As we worked through the steps and put the blocks together I thought it was nice and I liked my color combination.  I made the number of blocks she said for the lap or throw size and put them together.  What I ended up with was a baby quilt, 32 x 36" without borders. 

I said no way, not for all that work, unless I was putting it away for a future grand baby, so I decided to make more blocks until I was happy with it.  I was definitely not going to make enough for a king size quilt. I added enough blocks to make the quilt 8 x 7 or 64" x 56", before adding the borders.

I also changed my mind about the border fabric that I had originally thought I would use and decided to use the fabrics I had used in the quilt to make a mitered border and I cut and sewed each on individually.  Later I discovered that I should have sewn all the strips together and then just mitered one time, which probably would  have helped solve the problem that Shirley had with quilting it.  She is a wonder and was able to stretch the corners and make them square for me. I think if I had done them all at once as mitered corners instead of border by border they may have been okay. Lesson learned for the next time.


Now Shirley is working her magic on my quilt and when it comes home I can bind it.  Even though this quilt has been trouble since the start, I still really like it.
Shirley did an awesome job quilting it.


7 comments:

  1. What a pain Wanda! But it is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am looking forward to it coming home and getting bound.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you hung in there and got it done because it is beautiful. Love the fabrics. It will be worth all the trouble once you get to snuggle with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to putting it on my bed as it is springy and it will be nice as an added layer for the winter.

      Delete
  3. you and Shirley have made your troublesome start into a real beauty!!

    ReplyDelete