Monday, October 28, 2013

More UFOs Moving Along

I have been busy working on moving my UFOs toward topsville and donesville.  I have two quilts at the quilters presently, that I need to make binding for. One I have the fabric for the other I need to figure our what to use for binding. I have cut and pieced binding for two other quilts as well.

I am working on the binding on another quilt and hope to finish it by Thursday, if not before.

I finished several more tops in the last couple weeks. One is called Summer Solstice and is partially paper pieced.  I did not do the full paper pieced border, just the corners.  I decided I was not going to keep paper piecing since it is not my favorite activity, plus I was not sure I had enough of one of the fabrics to finish all the blocks.
Before adding borders
I started with the four blocks put together, then finished paper piecing the corners and bordered it this month.  I decided I just wanted to finish it simply, rather than do a more elaborate border.
After adding borders.
Backing pressed and folded and ready to go.
I finished sewing the rows together for Barbara's Attic which is a Debbie Caffery Mystery I started a long time ago. I had misplaced a set of blocks and could not finish my rows. I finally found them in a box with another UFO and was able to finish my rows earlier this year.  I sewed some of the rows together earlier this year and finished them this month. I am debating putting a black border around the outside or just leaving it as it is and binding in black.

Barbara's Attic with the rows laid out.

I bound this table runner this month.  Here are the before and the after photos.

After finishing the binding.
I completed another two tops as well. One Is made form left over hearts form the Crazy Hearts quilt made for my cousin, Janie, and the other is a second OFF KUiLTeR, using blue as the background this time. Both still need borders added.
This is a pile of the blocks before I started the original quilt. I still have a few left over to make a table runner or dresser cloth. I may use them to make place mats or large hot pads.

Crazy Hearts
Before being sewn into a top.
I also finished piecing two baby quilts and bordered them.  The pattern for one is Pick Up Sticks and the other is a modified Pick Up Sticks because I goofed on the angle I was to cut the strips apart so I used them to make a variation of the design. I do not have any pictures of the blocks before I started putting the quilt together.
The smaller one with two of the borders added, though I may add one more outer border once I see if I need to make it larger.

The larger one waiting on outer borders.
Lastly is my favorite quilt. It is called Daisy Days and is one I have been working on slowly for a long, long, long time.  It is hand appliqued and It took me a long time to finish four twenty inch blocks.
I started these four blocks and and added sashing, and four borders, one of which is pieced.  I am thinking I may do some more applique on the borders with the vines.  I am also trying to decide if I want to have it machine basted so I can hand quilt it or have it machine quilted.
Here is the finished top, though I am not sure if I like the outer border.  I may need to add one more border or change it out out. What do you all think?

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Finishing Class October 2013 and more...

This weekend was a finishing class.  I was busy on Friday night at my Snowman quilt class, where I worked on the trees.  I had the three snowmen and fourteen stars done already.

On Saturday morning I finished the five sections of the Snowman quilt, as my goal was to finish that quilt that day.  I was able to accomplish my goal at the finishing class Saturday afternoon, and I also finished the backing, which was a fabric I found in my stash with snowmen and snowflakes on it.  It is already to send off to the quilter.
two panels put together, three more to go.   
The top and bottom halves of the snowman quilt with borders.

Add caption
On Sunday, the second day of the finishing class, I finished borders on my Day Dreamer mystery, and cut the borders and attached two to the Flip Flops of Summer quilt.  I also made backings for Q is for Quilter, Flip Flops of Summer, the Day Dreamer mystery, Simply An Illusion mystery, and the Rainbow Stars with piano keys border.

Q is for Quilter Mystery before borders
After adding borders
Flip Flops of Summer.  Once it is quilted I will add the ribbons back on and permanently attach them.

Borders Added!

Day Dreamer Mystery before adding last two borders.
Day Dreamer Mystery after adding the final two borders. The borders are purple not blue.
Six backs pieced, pressed, and ready to go
The two tops that were done that I also made backs for are Simply An Illusion and Bright Stars with Piano Key border.

It was a very productive weekend.  All are ready to mail off to the quilter so I can move them to the next phase.

Next up is cutting and sewing the bindings so they are ready when the quilts return home from the quilter.

I also finished the bindings on these three quilts in the last few weeks.

Finished binding this one in September. One More Time Mystery 

Finished Binding this one this month. I thought I was done and realized and I had skipped a section because I started binding twice in two different places and missed the in between section. 2010 New Year's Mystery.
I finished binding this one today.  2011 New Year's Mystery.
I have one more quilts with the binding ready for hand stitching and at least four more waiting for me to make the bindings, plus at least one table runner that needs binding, and probably more.

Now I have to go figure out which of the one on the list of UFOs I need to get to work on next....There are at least 15 of those, and that does not include the ones in need of borders or my applique projects. Yikes!  I need more UFOber!